gEDA-user: attributes: net and netname

After all this time I am still scratching my head as to why there are
two diffferent attributes for naming nets.

net and netname

yes I have read

http://www.geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:na_howto

and it looks like netname is ment to set the name of a net for a segment
while net is ment to be the overiding value for a power (or ground)
graphical symbol.

Is the final net naming convention

if (no net or netname) use an autogenerated string for the net's name

if (graphic with pin and a net attribute) use the string from the net
attribute as the net's name

if (no graphic and netname=somestring) use label as the net's name

Steve Meier