Re: gEDA-user: one fix for building under Solaris

On Tue, 2009-01-06 at 07:32 -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:

>    It seems I've screwed myself by installing the latest release
> (v0.23) of pkg-config, which seems to have suffered from "hey,
> everyone runs Linux with Gnome on a PC, right?" disease.  I just
> looked at the source code; it is hard-coded to call gnome-config.
> Dumb, dumb, dumb.  The pkg-config shipped with Solaris, v0.15.0,
> performs no such foolishness.  WTF?
>
>    I'm going to re-run the configure script using the older pkg-
> config binary.

I've just skimmed the pkg-config source-code, and the only place it is
calling gnome-config is as a compatibility fall-back for the way gnome
libraries used to be discovered. It sucks if it is failing ungracefully
because gnome-config doesn't exist, however the fact it is trying to
call it in the first place does rather suggest something it is looking
for is missing.

The older pkg-config (assuming it works ok), would be a useful
workaround. The Changelog suggests the gnome-config fallback was added
back in 2000, so there is a possibility that the pkg-config on your
system was just patched.

If you need a working, newer pkg-config, open up parse.c, navigate to:

Package *
get_compat_package (const char *name)
{

around line 1189 for pkg-config version 0.22,
and short-circuit it to return NULL.

> > Now I can see why they invented ports, dpkg, apt-get etc ;)
>
>    ...which, of course, cause baldness in their own ways. :-/
>
> > (Peter - who is currently in .deb package hell trying to build some
> > -devel snapshot .debs).

I'm on my third upload to the PPA, hoping I've got it right this time.
It hasn't even hit a build daemon yet!

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,