gEDA-user: Bug report for renaming slots [Was: Re: gEDA on windows]

On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 15:18 -0800, Joerg wrote:

> >> But if you do that, can you call the first one U12A and have power pins,
> >> then next one U12B, then U12C and U12D without but so it sticks during
> >> renumbering and also correctly netlists? When I tried that the refdeses
> >> were messed up at the next renumbering.
> >
> > Please file that as a bug report.  I suspect that you are correct that
> > at least refdes_renum doesn't play well with slotting.
> >

>  From Ales' post I am assuming that it ain't desired to file this as a
> bug report ;-)

Actually, it would make a perfectly good bug report. The current "gEDA
way" of handling multiple components / power pins, etc.. is to have
multiple symbols for the pieces, and you instantiate them with the same
refdes.

Since the renumber tools we ship are not behaving themselves when fed a
schematic with multiple repeated refdes, that is a perfectly valid bug
report. At the very least level of intelligence, the renumber tools
ought to be renaming _all_ U34, to whatever it's new refdes needs to be,
not giving each slots its own refdes.

More extensive support for back annotation from a board layout will
probably be coming in a later release. No coding is underway as far as I
know though.

Personally, As a kludge, I keep separate refdes in my schematics (which
re-use hierarchical blocks), and on the pcb layout. I have some hacky
code which maps from one to the other in a patched version of gnetlist.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,