Re: gEDA-user: GTK RANT

On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 11:12 -0800, Steve Meier wrote:

> To hit shift h and then d to descend a hierarchical structure takes two
> key strikes.

Question about capitalisation of shortcuts..

We don't do a great job of displaying these:

Shift Hu

Would "Hu" do?

Actually, we do specifically check the "Shift" modifier, switching
caps-lock on, and typing "hShiftU" -> "Hu" does not work.

Should it?

Should we:

a) Make the shortcut based on the logical characters - so having
capslock on requires inversion of your "shift" modifier application.

b) Make the shortcut based on modifier + case-insensitive letter?
This gives us invariant key-presses for a given shortcut with capslock
on/off.

How should we display the shortcut.. as before (Shift Hu), or a more GTK
"Shift+H U"?

I note that accelerators are normally shown capitalised in other GTK
programs (Apart from the modifier names, such as "Alt", "Ctrl", "Shift",
"Meta", which are joined with a "+" symbol)

On MacOSX, GTK will display native symbols for various modifiers and
keys, as is consistent with that platform.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,