gEDA-user: Keyboard shorcuts [WAS: Re: GTK RANT]

On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 11:12 -0800, Steve Meier wrote:
> Yes they are two keys but they are struck simultaneously.
>
> If you use two fingers simultaneously to close two holes on a flute is
> that one note?
>
> If use two fingers to alternate between two holes you get two notes.
>
> This is all about efficiency.
>
> I can hit control C and control v with one hand in one motion.

To get the shortcut, you need to press the modifier key first, and
assuming your two keys are close enough to use with two fingers of the
same hand, I don't think it makes a great deal of difference.

Ctrl+_ shortcuts where the letter isn't within reach of my left hand
(I'm right-handed), are slower / harder than many two letter
combinations.

> To hit shift h and then d to descend a hierarchical structure takes two
> key strikes.

Its not a great shortcut to have to use Shift + letter, then another
leter.

Assuming no modifiers, a two character shortcut has the same number of
operations as Ctrl+_, just has a different ordering of keypress /
key-releases.

I don't think it's going to be the press / release time which dominates
anyway.. its more about what keys are near your fingers.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,