Re: gEDA-user: Keyboard shorcuts [WAS: Re: GTK RANT]

Peter Clifton wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 11:12 -0800, Steve Meier wrote:
>> Yes they are two keys but they are struck simultaneously.
>>
>> If you use two fingers simultaneously to close two holes on a flute is
>> that one note?
>>
>> If use two fingers to alternate between two holes you get two notes.
>>
>> This is all about efficiency.
>>
>> I can hit control C and control v with one hand in one motion.

me too but rsi dectates hat I won't want to do it a lot.

> I don't think it's going to be the press / release time which dominates
> anyway.. its more about what keys are near your fingers.

this is was what made the use of the "L" keys so powerful in cadnetix.
For those who aren't familiar with older sun keyboards, there were 10
keys arranged in a 2 column 5 row configuration on the left side of the
keyboard that were known as the "L" keys.

The 10 most common actions/operations were accessed by single L-key
keypresses.  You could zoom in/out, pan, etc all just with the mouse
without moving the pointer away from your active layout area.  Not
beginner friendly but you could cruise in that tool!  You rarely needed
to move your left hand away from that one spot on the keyboard and your
right hand stayed on the mouse and there wasn't much superfluous mouse
motion.

-Dan