Re: gEDA-user: gEDA "portability problems"

On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 18:11 -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:

> > Please try the latest GTK+ 2.8.x point release, and see if that
> > works. It has
> > a lot less code than the very newest GTK+ release, so it should
> > have fewer
> > portability problems.
>
>    I will; thank you for the suggestion!
>
> > I'm confused: I thought OpenSolaris used a GTK+-based GUI?
>
>    It does. (well, more like "can")  Thing is, the stuff it ships
> with is kinda old, too old for later release of Cairo to use.
> Sooooo...The resulting deluge of dependencies had me compiling crap
> for days.

I'd still suggest going for the latest GTK and cairo versions. Last time
we were looking at this, I got the feeling that the problems you're
encountering were not portability problems per-se, rather that you ended
up with gEDA linked against various libraries, which might themselves
have been built against different versions of other dependencies.

If you end up with geda linking "liba" and libb", where "liba" and
"libb" both depend on "libc", you can certainly expect segfaults if liba
and libb were built against different versions of libc.

Add the entire dependency chain into the mix, and it doesn't take much
to make something unstable.

If you're finding problems with threading, perhaps some of the libraries
gEDA ended up linking against were compiled with different options in
that regard.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,