Re: gEDA-user: gEDA "portability problems"

On Jan 28, 2009, at 6:14 PM, Peter Clifton wrote:
>>> I'm confused: I thought OpenSolaris used a GTK+-based GUI?
>>
>>    It does. (well, more like "can")  Thing is, the stuff it ships
>> with is kinda old, too old for later release of Cairo to use.
>> Sooooo...The resulting deluge of dependencies had me compiling crap
>> for days.
>
> I'd still suggest going for the latest GTK and cairo versions. Last
> time
> we were looking at this, I got the feeling that the problems you're
> encountering were not portability problems per-se, rather that you
> ended
> up with gEDA linked against various libraries, which might themselves
> have been built against different versions of other dependencies.

   I did have exactly those problems.  I spent most of an afternoon
digging through all of that, though, and I'm confident that I've
gotten them resolved.  The latest GTK (and friends) are compiled and
installed, but anything that uses them dies with a bus error (even
gtk-demo) which I've not been able to track down.  I've forgotten the
details (a busy two weeks have gone by since then) but it was
something to do with threading.

   Oh, and also, just to be clear...I'm running "production" Solaris
10, not OpenSolaris.

              -Dave

--
Dave McGuire