Re: gEDA-user: New gaf on Windows and one PCB question

On Sun, 2010-01-17 at 22:45 -0200, Cesar Strauss wrote:
> Peter Clifton wrote:
> > On Sat, 2010-01-16 at 16:50 +0100, Bert Timmerman wrote:
> >> http://www.xs4all.nl/~ljh4timm/downloads/gschem-1.6.0-full%20screen.png
> >>
> >> http://www.xs4all.nl/~ljh4timm/downloads/gschem-1.6.0-zoomed%20in.png
> >>
> >> http://www.xs4all.nl/~ljh4timm/downloads/gschem-1.6.0-max%20zoomed%20in.png
>
> I can reproduce it, with a version I just built myself.
>
> I attach the Pango complaints I found on the terminal.

Those are illuminating.

I take bets that it is some gripe with the order / method I'm applying
scaling when drawing text. I do this with:

  pango_cairo_context_set_resolution (context, 1000. * scale_factor);
  font_size_pt = o_text_get_font_size_in_points (w_current->toplevel,
                                                 o_current);
  font_string = g_strdup_printf ("%s %f\n", FONT_NAME, font_size_pt);

Perhaps it is more appropriate to use cairo_scale to transform the size
of the rendered font.

It might just be me getting confused, but I found cairo and pango to be
somewhat poorly documented in this regard. I got the impression at
various times that they are more designed (or documented?) in terms of
rendering a "12pt" font to be 12 points on the screen - not 12 points in
my canvas's world coordinate system.

I find it very strange that some systems work with this, and others
fail. I wonder if it is an XP difference, or a difference in what other
progs / registry settings / fonts we have lying  about.