Re: gEDA-user: Schematic Capture to dxf File - using gEDA, Inkscape, and pstoedit

I added this post at:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97677

I have tweaked the process a little to get a better result in Inkscape. Rob, at the Inkscape forum offered some help:

http://www.inkscapeforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4279

He, thinks that the 'Stroke to Path' problem looks like a mathematical rounding error. That makes sense to me.

So now, the first thing I do, after loading the .ps file into Inkscape, is to scale it x10. I do all of the 'ungroup', 'path to stroke', and 'union' operations on it and then scale it back to normal size. At 10x the size, the 'Path to Stroke' does better at converting the end caps on the lines; and, after the 'Union' operation, the 45 deg. and 90 deg. corners are smoother on the traces.

You might think scaling 100x would be even better. However, by scaling x100 in Inkscape and then doing 'Path to Stroke' and 'Union', a new set of problems arise.

gEDA/pcb creates the solid ground plane out of multiple polygons that are butted up against each other, and meant to be treated as one solid object. At x100 scale, tiny slivers of white background show between some of them. They are 'boolean union'-ing into a single object, but with long, thin slivers taken out of the solid ground plane. The scaling seems to be slightly offsetting the nodes - looks like another rounding error to me.

So, x10 gets good results. I am very happy with it.

[picture]

Thanks,
Dave