Re: gEDA-user: spNet v0.9.2 released

John P. Doty wrote:

> The people who seem to appreciate your work don't seem to understand
> gEDA. They expect something like the "do everything poorly with one
> tool" approach that is so distressingly common in software these days. A
> kit of tools, each of which does one thing well, is alien. But that's
> gEDA, that's its strength.

For the record, I just said I liked his documentation and website--- and
pled ignorance on everything else.  :)

Look, I'll first apologize for starting this whole thing by calling you
names, John.  I intended it in jest, but obviously my email didn't make
that clear enough.  Sorry.  It was inappropriate behavior from me, to
say the least.

I agree that one of gEDA's strengths is that each component does one
thing, and does it very well.  That fact alone has made it much easier
for me to get my head around the small parts of it that I need to get my
relatively modest designs done.

It looks like Anthony has re-invented a wheel, and that's difficult to
accept.  But his motivation to contribute is no less commendable as a
result, and I really do appreciate his effort--- and I suspect that you
do too, John.  I know he would love to hear that.

In the bigger picture, I'll note that the tutorials and FAQs I've seen
for gEDA all focus on a pretty specific workflow, which is to turn a
schematic into a circuit board layout.  There are obviously a zillion
different ways that the tools would be useful, and I would really
appreciate it if someone would write a few of them down!

I'm a Contributing Editor for Embedded Systems Design magazine.  If
anyone wants to help me co-author a few short articles on using gEDA for
things like circuit board layout, schematic capture, simulations, and
whatever else it's good for, I'd be more than happy to give you ample
credit and to assist in whatever capacity I can to see to it that the
documents get published.  They should be good candidates for the Wiki, too!

If we can get some word out, and commit to documenting some of the
really cool ways people are solving problems with gEDA, then I think
we'll all get along a _lot_ better.  We'll focus our efforts on the
parts of gEDA that are truly lacking (and even identify them!).  And
we'd call more attention to the project, too.

<bluto>

"Now who's with me?"

</bluto>

b.g.