Re: gEDA-user: spNet v0.9.2 released

Bill Gatliff wrote:
> John P. Doty wrote:
>
>> The people who seem to appreciate your work don't seem to understand
>> gEDA. They expect something like the "do everything poorly with one
>> tool" approach that is so distressingly common in software these days. A
>> kit of tools, each of which does one thing well, is alien. But that's
>> gEDA, that's its strength.
>>

> For the record, I just said I liked his documentation and website--- and
> pled ignorance on everything else.  :)
>
> Look, I'll first apologize for starting this whole thing by calling you
> names, John.  I intended it in jest, but obviously my email didn't make
> that clear enough.  Sorry.  It was inappropriate behavior from me, to
> say the least.

No need to apologize: I've a pretty thick skin. I don't even recall what
you said. It had nothing to do with my distress.

> I agree that one of gEDA's strengths is that each component does one
> thing, and does it very well.  That fact alone has made it much easier
> for me to get my head around the small parts of it that I need to get my
> relatively modest designs done.
>
> It looks like Anthony has re-invented a wheel, and that's difficult to
> accept.  But his motivation to contribute is no less commendable as a
> result, and I really do appreciate his effort--- and I suspect that you
> do too, John.  I know he would love to hear that.

I appreciate his positive effort, indeed. But why must he falsely
disparage what we already have?

gEDA is a miracle: a lean, flexible toolkit in an age of complex,
inflexible bloatware.

> In the bigger picture, I'll note that the tutorials and FAQs I've seen
> for gEDA all focus on a pretty specific workflow, which is to turn a
> schematic into a circuit board layout.  There are obviously a zillion
> different ways that the tools would be useful, and I would really
> appreciate it if someone would write a few of them down!

I'm working on a gnetlist back end tutorial. I think that the
capabilities of gnetlist are underappreciated, and that specialized back
ends could be very useful.

--
John Doty      Noqsi Aerospace, Ltd.
http://www.noqsi.com/