Re: gEDA-user: "Now who's with me?"

John P. Doty wrote:
> Bill Gatliff wrote:
>> In the bigger picture, I'll note that the tutorials and FAQs I've seen
>> for gEDA all focus on a pretty specific workflow, which is to turn a
>> schematic into a circuit board layout.  There are obviously a zillion
>> different ways that the tools would be useful, and I would really
>> appreciate it if someone would write a few of them down!
>>

> I'm working on a gnetlist back end tutorial. I think that the
> capabilities of gnetlist are underappreciated, and that specialized back
> ends could be very useful.
>
>> I'm a Contributing Editor for Embedded Systems Design magazine.  If
>> anyone wants to help me co-author a few short articles on using gEDA for
>> things like circuit board layout, schematic capture, simulations, and
>> whatever else it's good for, I'd be more than happy to give you ample
>> credit and to assist in whatever capacity I can to see to it that the
>> documents get published.  They should be good candidates for the Wiki, too!
>>
>> If we can get some word out, and commit to documenting some of the
>> really cool ways people are solving problems with gEDA, then I think
>> we'll all get along a _lot_ better.  We'll focus our efforts on the
>> parts of gEDA that are truly lacking (and even identify them!).  And
>> we'd call more attention to the project, too.
>>

>> <bluto>
>>
>> "Now who's with me?"
>>
>> </bluto>
>>

>> b.g.

I am.  I've spent some time on testing and documenting the gnetlist-verilog scheme language backend
to help use the Gnucap simulator with gschem schematics.   The gnetlist-verilog back end outputs
a subset of verilog-ams, which is fully hierarchical.  I'd like to get that to some more workable state --
it already did some hierarchic netlisting -- but I have not done the unit tests for it or written it up.

Bragging on something like that kind of gnetlist to gnucap integration could get more Linux_Fund contributions
to help with PCB using the same things -- putting out a new version of the gnetlist-pcb netlist with circuit values for the trace
capacitances and distances.

John Griessen