Re: gEDA-user: General Layers questions

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 1:08 PM, DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I agree here, that a via and a footprint are essentially the same
>> thing.
>
> Except the user doesn't interact with them the same way.

This is a UI representation, not a layer geometry issue.

A via tool that makes the proper composite object and stamps it at a
coordinate, is the via tool.  Even if the UI is a script interface, a
via macro in the layers file, or a GUI window and mouse pointer.

A footprint tool takes the composite from a library and stamps it down.

In the underpinnings the layers now has two composite objects, groups,
or what ever you want to call it at two locations on the layout.