Re: gEDA-user: General Layers questions

On Mar 18, 2011, at 4:37 PM, DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Still, I do not see a need for outline layers anywhere, except as an
>> attribute on a graphical layer that tells an exporter where to stop
>> drawing.
>
> Hmmm... so you think PCB should let the user place an element in a
> physically impossible location, because it doesn't care about the
> outlines?

Yes,  I hate how pcb used to limit moving footprints silk off the edge of a board.   Yes easily solved by adding the outline layer.....

It is also useful for staging your placement.

Perhaps color portion off of the outline of it's base layer?  In other words, if you place an element over a transition from rigid to flex, where the rigid or flex that has the most pins is defined as the base layer,  I have used flexes where components are on the flex portion.  Avoid resistors and ceramic caps,  they tend to get their end caps ripped off, bit a sc-70 works fine usually.