Re: gEDA-user: Re: gEDA in wikipedia (englisch/german)

> > (1) There is no Solaris binary either, but you claim we should say we
> >    support that.
>
> Does that mean, that the gEDA Suite CD will not run on a solaris machine?

My point is that the gEDA suite does not include *any* pre-built
binaries.  Thus, a lack of a "binary installer" for Windows means
nothing.  The CD does not include Linux binaries, but we certainly
support Linux.  You have to build for *all* platforms, Linux and
Windows included.

> > Plus, I have a windows binary-installer from Dan.  I think there were
> > just a few quirks left to iron out, but it seems to work just fine for
> > me.
>
> Ok, I stand almost corrected. But you are talking exclusively about pcb,
> are you?

That particular installer was just for PCB.

> > I was speaking of gEDA and PCB.  You know PCB runs on Macs too, right?
>
> No, I did not know --- Must have ignored this bit of information on
> the download page, because it is irrelevant to me. Does the mac
> package include all of geda, not just pcb?

I don't know about a "mac package" (I think there are a couple, but
you can just build it too).  Macs run Unix now ;-)

You seem to have it stuck in your head that we don't support a
platform unless we have some monolithic binary installer blob for that
platform.  We don't, for any platform.  We have the installer CD that
builds everything from source, but it's not what most people would
think of when they think "binary installer".  We don't distribute
binaries for ANY platform (third parties might, like for Macs), so you
need to stop thinking that way.

What we need to think in terms of, is which platforms "just build"
with the sources out of cvs, either with the usual ./configure;make
(unix) or with a single platform-specific script (windows).