Re: gEDA-user: gschem with cairo rendering

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 09:22:05PM +0100, Peter Clifton wrote:

> Partly, but partly not.. there is no reason someone like yourself could
> not build cairo etc., if you wanted it. The main reason it wouldn't be
> viable would be if you were running on hardware which isn't fast enough
> to be usable with that level of graphics quality. (Although yes, cairo
> probably isn't the fastest way of rendering a given graphic, its just
> very convenient from a coding point of view).
>
> Limited by hardware is what I meant by lowest common denominator.
> Avoiding things like GTK by choice is just that, your choice, and comes
> more under the m-r-c definition.

If I am not mistaken, der Mouse uses 8 bit graphics on a SS20 running
NetBSD.  At least, I think that is what he said once, and I still saw
him reporting bugs about software not working with cg6 cards as of late
last year.

And personally, I applaud him for doing that.  I wish I had the patience
to do that.  Although I'd have a very hard time giving up true color.