Re: gEDA-user: gschem with cairo rendering

> If I am not mistaken, der Mouse uses 8 bit graphics on a SS20 running
> NetBSD.

Close.  You're conflating different systems.  There are three systems I
regularly use.  All are running NetBSD.  One is an SS20, which has a
cgfourteen in it (8/8/8 DirectColor, in X terms); the others are LXes,
which have cgsixes (8bpp PseudoColor, in X terms).

The principal system I expect to be using PCB on is the SS20, but I
have done enough X on weird and wonderful hardware (I did the first X
port to NeXT "black" 2bpp grayscale hardware, for example) to know how
to avoid making assumptions like "all the world is 5/6/5 TrueColor".
(That's not to say I never make such assumptions.  Just that, when I
do, I do so deliberately, with full awareness that I'm doing so.)

> And personally, I applaud him for doing that.  I wish I had the
> patience to do that.  Although I'd have a very hard time giving up
> true color.

For something like PCB, 8bpp PseudoColor is quite good enough.  And I
really don't do much that requires high - or even moderate - colour
fidelity; people have glanced at my screen and asked whether it even
supports colour, I use colours other than black and white so little.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx