Re: gEDA-user: gschem with cairo rendering

On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 14:56 -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> > It is getting quite frustrating to keep coding for the lowest common
> > denominator,
>
> I don't know gEDA proper, but PCB is very far from "lowest common
> denominator".  Indeed that's a substantial part of why I'm building my
> own HID for it now: I neither have nor want GTK or Lesstif, so I'm
> building a plain X HID.

I presume you're ok with a partial requirement for M4 and some posix
shell, which is common on UNIX, but is a real pain for the win32 port. I
guess we do have different ideas about m-r-c.

> It's likely you actually mean "lowest common denominator that meets my
> idea of a minimal reasonable configuration".  And there's nothing wrong
> with that...provided you recognize that's what it really is, and
> document what your idea of a "minimal reasonable configuration" is, for
> the benefit of those whose idea of a m-r-c differs from yours.

Partly, but partly not.. there is no reason someone like yourself could
not build cairo etc., if you wanted it. The main reason it wouldn't be
viable would be if you were running on hardware which isn't fast enough
to be usable with that level of graphics quality. (Although yes, cairo
probably isn't the fastest way of rendering a given graphic, its just
very convenient from a coding point of view).

Limited by hardware is what I meant by lowest common denominator.
Avoiding things like GTK by choice is just that, your choice, and comes
more under the m-r-c definition.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,