Re: gEDA-user: gschem with cairo rendering

On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 12:53 -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

> > IMO, using yet another external library is not worth the inevitable
> > support headache just to get some pretty fonts.

It is getting quite frustrating to keep coding for the lowest common
denominator, and I'm sure there are many win32 / UNIX boxes out there
which have very few of our dependant libraries installed by default.

These projects are taking the very sensible step of factoring common
functionality into re-usable libraries, rather than (say), GTK or cairo
re-inventing / copy-pasting every piece of functionality they require,
and since a GUI environment is a complex affair, this means a lot of
libraries.

If we're talking Linux, I have less sympathy since there are very often
easier ways to install distro pre-built versions.

>    Well, I'm with you there, at least in principle.  I'm looking at
> probably a day or two of work just to try the cairo code, starting
> with getting git built (whose idea was that again?!), and it seems
> cairo has its own nice little tree of dependencies.  I'm stuck on
> pixman at the moment.

What platform is this - does it have any way you could get a
pre-compiled version?

If we were to be more like Mozilla / various CAD packages, our
controlled sources would include full, perhaps modified copies of such
libraries, leaving external dependencies just a C library and perhaps
libX11. I suspect distributions would not thank us for this, nor those
who actually have copies of the relevant libraries on their boxes.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,