Re: gEDA-user: gschem with cairo rendering

On May 5, 2008, at 1:33 PM, Peter Clifton wrote:
>>> IMO, using yet another external library is not worth the inevitable
>>> support headache just to get some pretty fonts.
>
> It is getting quite frustrating to keep coding for the lowest common
> denominator, and I'm sure there are many win32 / UNIX boxes out there
> which have very few of our dependant libraries installed by default.

   Well, the other end of that stick is making gEDA a Linux-only (and
"recent" Linux at that) product.  I'd not be in favor of that at
all.  There's got to be a happy medium in there somewhere.

>>    Well, I'm with you there, at least in principle.  I'm looking at
>> probably a day or two of work just to try the cairo code, starting
>> with getting git built (whose idea was that again?!), and it seems
>> cairo has its own nice little tree of dependencies.  I'm stuck on
>> pixman at the moment.
>
> What platform is this - does it have any way you could get a
> pre-compiled version?

   Solaris10 on UltraSPARC, and MacOS X on PPC.  I prefer to build
from unmodified sources...I eschew "package management" systems
because they put stuff in weird places and are almost never current.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL