Re: gEDA-user: gschem with cairo rendering

On May 5, 2008, at 1:24 PM, Peter Clifton wrote:
>> I'm not fond of cairo since it's a fast-moving dependency and is not
>> present on many standard distros.  Also, it's slooooooow on lots of
>> platforms.  However, as a developer experiment, I figure it's
>> harmless
>> as long as we also support the same features in GDK, and can turn
>> cairo off during configure time.  (And it remains off for now.)
>
> Cairo is present on all distros which support Gnome since 2005/2006.

   By "present on all distros which support Gnome since 2005/2006",
do you really mean "distros which include a release of Gnome later
than 2005/2006"?  For example, my late-2007 installation of
Solaris10, which ships with Gnome, doesn't have cairo.

   The danger here is making gEDA a "bleeding-edge Linux only"
system.  I personally am very much in favor of such advanced things
as the use of cairo for rendering...The result is gorgeous, and it
makes the software easier to use due to reduced eye fatigue...The
only thing I'm cautioning against is the assumption that all the
world's a PC running Linux.  If it depends on cairo, and cairo is a
recent-Linux-only thing, then gEDA becomes a recent-Linux-only thing.

   (and I did suggest freetype...it's highly portable, and according
to its documentation, is even usable in embedded applications running
from ROM)

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire