Re: gEDA-user: gschem with cairo rendering

On May 5, 2008, at 5:43 PM, Marvin Dickens wrote:
> The following is an opinion and nothing more - Designing the
> architecture of a program and then writing code for it like it's
> 1999 in
> the year 2008 makes no sense whatsoever to me. Yes, I know the
> argument
> about writing code for the lowest common denominator hardware. But,
> even
> so, in my opinion, there is only so low you can go with hardware and
> still justify what you are doing.

   It's not a matter of lowest common denominator hardware...it's a
matter of assumed availability of every whiz-bang pre-1.0 library in
the Linux world.  Most big commercial UNIX installations (and there
are a lot more of them than many Linux folk are willing to
acknowledge) don't subscribe to the "upgrade libraries every other
week" mentality.  In a production environment, such a cavalier
attitude to systems administration just doesn't fly.  And just TRY to
get an overly-conservative network admin to build and install a
library whose release number is less than 1.0 even though it has been
around for a decade or more and is rock solid.  This is very common
in the Linux world, and the commercial UNIX world just can't wrap
their brains around that concept.

   Even on my primary server on my home network (a big Sun running
Solaris10), the /usr filesystem is shared by seven virtual machines
that are doing seven very different things.  If I go dicking with
shared libraries indiscriminately there, I could break something else
that I'm doing, or worse, something of someone else's...either of
which could have a material impact on my income.

   As of right now, gEDA isn't just for students and hobbyists.
Commercial concerns do take it seriously.  If you want to destroy
that, and MAKE it only suitable for students and hobbyists, then the
fastest way to do that is to make it depend on fifty Linux-only
pre-1.0 libraries.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire