Re: gEDA-user: fritzing

John Doty wrote:
> On May 9, 2009, at 2:51 PM, Joerg wrote:
>
>> Stefan Salewski wrote:

>>> What I heard about Michael Schumacher was that his strength was
>>> more his
>>> technical understanding about the car, which makes it possible to
>>> discuss with the tech team to improve the cat, than his driving
>>> skills.
>>>
>> Sure they know the technology, just like a pilot must know the inner
>> workings of a jet engine or like I know how C and assembler is
>> written.
>> But that does not mean those people can perform the work of an expert
>> mechanic or engineer in those fields.
>
> The best can. When Yeager was test flying the Mig-15, he wired the
> pyros on the ejection seat himself.

Wiring pyros is not designing an ejection seat.

>> In fact most can't, and they don't
>> have to.
>
> Just because most people are content with mediocrity does not mean we
> should cater to their laziness. And note that this kind of laziness
> makes their job harder: master the tools, and the computer becomes an
> enormously more powerful device in your hands.

Every sector of a trade has their strengths and weaknesses. Or should I
consider engineers who can't design high voltage ICs, RF amps or fix EMC
problems in their sleep "mediocre" just because I can do those things? I
would never dare to say that, because it's not true. They just have
other specialties.

>>> It's hard for me to imagine an engineer who can not install an OS,
>>> when
>>> so many 12 years old school boys can do it. I can imagine other "top
>>> notch" people, like (financial) managers, artists, maybe
>>> mathematicians
>>> -- but that is not out target group.
>>>
>> Maybe hard to imagine for you but that how life is :-)
>
> Nope. Life for the first rate is studying a new thing every day,
> stretching yourself, learning how to exploit different methodologies
> and points of view.
>
> Von Neummann once recommended a specific vacuum tube to the engineers
> working on the early computers. He understood the issues and knew
> that this specific new tube had worth characteristics. That's first
> rate.
>

>>> Of course gEDA for Windows would mean more users. But would those
>>> additional user contribute something to the project?
>>>
>> Oh yes. Without feedback from lots of folks who do engineering and CAD
>> for decades you cannot create a good CAD tool.
>
> Unless you walk in the developers' shoes, you cannot give truly
> effective feedback. And developers who never walk in users' shoes
> will never really understand what they need. Fundamentally, gEDA is
> better because we don't have that inefficient kind of division of labor.

Not so. For example, in medical electronics we receive the most valuable
feedback from the best cardiologists in the country, guys I'd trust 100%
  if my time on the table came. Yet most don't have the foggiest idea
how electronics work. And that's perfectly ok.

>>> KiCAD was available from the beginning for Windows. Based on your
>>> logic
>>> the development of KiCad should be very fast, because of all these
>>> "top
>>> notch engineers" who can use it and who can contribute. ...
>>
>> It has improved trmendously over the last three years.
>>

>>>                                                      ... I do not
>>> know
>>> much about KiCAD, but it seems to be not too bad, and I know some
>>> people
>>> who used it on Windows. ...
>>
>> IMHO it's at a more useful stage right now than gEDA. No flames
>> please,
>> that's just my personal opinion, as someone who's done CAD quite
>> extensively for over 20 years. Kicad is a very good CAD program,
>> but has
>> some quirks left.
>
> They won't get fixed by complaining.

Mentioning and explaining details of a bug is not complaining. Papering
over stuff like that is what keeps SW in the nerd corner.

>>>            .. But most development seems to be still done by
>>> the original author.
>>>
>> Yes, and therefore even more amazing. But I never understood why the
>> Charras team and the gEDA team don't join forces. Very good things
>> could
>> come out of that.
>
> We have completely different and fundamentally incompatible visions.
> That doesn't mean we can't respect each other, ...

Fully agree.

>     ... but I think joining forces is crazy.

Don't agree :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/