Re: gEDA-user: fritzing

Dave McGuire wrote:
> On May 10, 2009, at 6:35 PM, Joerg wrote:
>> No choice here. Goes like this: Me arriving at client, urgent EMI
>> case,
>> they already rented an analyzer. Any analyzer, whatever they could
>> get,
>> and fast. So here I was, having to figure out a way to get the
>> thing to
>> work with my laptop within the next 15 minutes or so. Ah, there's a CD
>> that came with it! Sez the usual: "This software requires Windows 98,
>> NT, 2000". Yep, it was that old, didn't mention XP but ran on it.
>
>    Heh.  "Call me back when you have grownup tools."

Feedback from the trenches: You'd be surprised who many _new_ PCs with
ISA slots are still sold these days. There are dealers who specialize in
that. Mostly to run very expansive legacy equipment in research and
production. You don't just toss out a $1M die bonder just because Bill
Gates or whoever changed flavors on favored ports.

>    A Windows PC with a data acquisition card does not a piece of test
> equipment make.  I think even Tek and HP^H^HAgilent have learned
> this.  The last thing an engineer needs is unreliable and/or
> unpredictable tools.  Imagine a mechanic using a screwdriver that
> bursts into flames at random intervals.

This was a very fine piece of equipment, a Rohde&Schwarz portable
spectrum analyzer. Did the job, we passed EMC at the lab in due course,
client now totally happy.

>    But anyway, as someone else was kind enough to point out, I have
> been trolled.  You are exceptionally good at that. ;)

Huh? What trolling?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/