Re: gEDA-user: Slotting and visible power connections

Stuart Brorson wrote:
>>> As long as each symbol for a physical chip has the same refdes, the
>>> netlister knows how to combine their pin numbers together.
>> Just tried it: Auto-number overwrites all this stuff. Every
>> instantiation gets a new refdes :-(
>
> Try using the utility "refdes_renum" on your schematic.   This will number
> all the refdeses at once.  (You need to close gschem first, and run
> this utility from the command line.)  If you already have some
> refdeses numbered on your schematic, then the default behavior of
> refdes_renum is to leave the numbered refdeses alone, and only number
> the unnumbered ones.  If you have numbered refdeses, then refdes_renum
> will start numbering using the next-highest unused number.

Thanks, Stuart. But this doesn't work on most designs. Goes somewhat
like this: Schematic is started, then talked over in a design review. In
order to do that refdeses must be numbered. Some suggestions/wishes come
up, schematic grows some more. Renumbered and reviewed again. Boss
calls, says he also needs a brand-new xyz gizmo obfuscator on there and
thus the schematic grows again. At the end it is all renumbered so parts
are in a reasonable order.

> Another thing you can do with refdes_renum is to skip numbering on
> different schematic pages (.sch files).  That way, page 1 can start
> numbering at 1, page 2 at 100, page 3 at 200, etc.
>
> Here's the help string for refdes-renum:
>
> /home/sdb> refdes_renum --help
> Usage:
>
>          refdes_renum [--nocopy] [--pgskip [number] ] file1 [file2 [file3 ... ] ]
>          refdes_renum --help
>          refdes_renum --version
>
> refdes_renum reads a gschem schematic file or files and renumbers all reference
> designators.  The reference designators are numbered starting with 1 and the
> old schematic file is replaced by the modified schematic file.
>
> refdes_renum accepts the following options:
>
>      --help      Displays this help message.
>
>      --nocopy    If given, this flag leaves the modified files in new files
>                  whose names are generated by appending a ".renum" to the
>                  original file names.  The default is to overwrite the original.
>
>      --pgskip    When this flag is used, components on the first schematic sheet
>                  are numbered starting with 101.  On the second sheet, they start
>                  with 201, etc  Specifying a value gives the step between pages.
>                  For example --pgskip 10 will start with 11, 21, 31, etc.
>
>      --gentle    This flag tells refdes_renum to leave any refdeses
>                  alone if they already have numbers.  Use this option to number
>                  new components in a schematic which has already been numbered.
>                  Note that --gentle is set by default!
>
>      --force     Set this flag to renumber all refdeses, whether they are already
>                  numbered or not.
>
>      --verbose   Enables verbose output.
>
>      --version   Shows the version of this program.
>

> Return codes:
>
>          refdes_renum returns the following codes to the shell upon completion:
>
>            0   Program ran successfully.
>            1   Error opening or reading input file.
>            2   Error opening or writing output file.
>            3   Too many components for --pgskip setting.
>            4   Internal error (program bug encountered).
>
> Usage examples:
>
>          refdes_renum mysch.sch
>          refdes_renum --pgskip pg1.sch pg2.sch pg3.sch
>

> refdes_renum was written by Dan McMahill <dmcmahill@xxxxxxxxxx>

Just as a suggestion, the way Eagle does this is quite ideal:

When you place, say, a LM324 as the seventh chip it will plop down U7A.
It never just leaves it U?. When you need the next section it plops down
U7B, then U7C, U7D. If you need yet another it'll place U8A. There are
always letters for the slots in the refdeses which is almost crucial
when you must hold a design review over the phone. Only U7A, U8A and so
on have power pins. If you pick a device with implicit pins and suddenly
find out "Oh, I better filter that chip over there separately" you click
an invoke tab and the hidden power pins show up on the -A slot. But only
for the device you click after invoke, not all of them.

When you renumber it leaves those instantations intact, if you don't let
it then it will not swap, for example, U7C with U8A. This is important
for situation where some not-so-orthodox compensation scheme relies on
the fact that circuits are on the same die.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.