Re: gEDA-user: Slotting and visible power connections

Stuart Brorson wrote:
> Hi --
>
>>> Try using the utility "refdes_renum" on your schematic.   This will number
>>> all the refdeses at once.  (You need to close gschem first, and run
>>> this utility from the command line.)  If you already have some
>>> refdeses numbered on your schematic, then the default behavior of
>>> refdes_renum is to leave the numbered refdeses alone, and only number
>>> the unnumbered ones.  If you have numbered refdeses, then refdes_renum
>>> will start numbering using the next-highest unused number.
>> Thanks, Stuart. But this doesn't work on most designs. Goes somewhat
>> like this: Schematic is started, then talked over in a design review. In
>> order to do that refdeses must be numbered. Some suggestions/wishes come
>> up, schematic grows some more. Renumbered and reviewed again. Boss
>> calls, says he also needs a brand-new xyz gizmo obfuscator on there and
>> thus the schematic grows again. At the end it is all renumbered so parts
>> are in a reasonable order.
>
> Perhaps I am missing your point.  However, what you say suggests the
> workflow is this:
>
> 1.  Start schematic in gschem.
> 2.  Close gschem.  Run refdes_renum to number all components.
> 3.  Reopen schematic in gschem and print it out.
> 4.  Hold review with printed schematic copies.
> 5.  Make mods in gschem.
>
> Using this flow, the parts are numbered as they are added to the
> schematic, whether in only one iteration, or over many, many
> iterations.

Ok. I'll have to try that from the command line. When using auto-number
from within the GUI is overwrites instantations of slots which it shouldn't.

> Also, if you want to do a global overwrite of the refdeses, then you
> can use refdes_renum --force, to overwrite everything.
>
> What gEDA *is* missing is the ability to backannotate the refdeses
> from PCB into the schematic, as well as the ability to do an
> "entire-board" update of the refdeses inside of PCB.  Lots of people
> like to do a global re-refdesing after the board is laid out so that
> the refdeses are numbered sequentially from upper left ot lower right,
> say.  that makes it easier to locate a part when doing debug or
> service.
>
> Someday we'll get to that point.....

Yes, that is a problem because renumbering is typically done after
placement or at the end of a layout. It makes board repairs a lot easier
for the techs. However, for PADS (which my layouter uses) I have found this:

http://www.geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:fbabgapp

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/