Re: gEDA-user: Slotting and visible power connections

Hi --

>> Try using the utility "refdes_renum" on your schematic.   This will number
>> all the refdeses at once.  (You need to close gschem first, and run
>> this utility from the command line.)  If you already have some
>> refdeses numbered on your schematic, then the default behavior of
>> refdes_renum is to leave the numbered refdeses alone, and only number
>> the unnumbered ones.  If you have numbered refdeses, then refdes_renum
>> will start numbering using the next-highest unused number.
>
> Thanks, Stuart. But this doesn't work on most designs. Goes somewhat
> like this: Schematic is started, then talked over in a design review. In
> order to do that refdeses must be numbered. Some suggestions/wishes come
> up, schematic grows some more. Renumbered and reviewed again. Boss
> calls, says he also needs a brand-new xyz gizmo obfuscator on there and
> thus the schematic grows again. At the end it is all renumbered so parts
> are in a reasonable order.

Perhaps I am missing your point.  However, what you say suggests the
workflow is this:

1.  Start schematic in gschem.
2.  Close gschem.  Run refdes_renum to number all components.
3.  Reopen schematic in gschem and print it out.
4.  Hold review with printed schematic copies.
5.  Make mods in gschem.

Using this flow, the parts are numbered as they are added to the
schematic, whether in only one iteration, or over many, many
iterations.

Also, if you want to do a global overwrite of the refdeses, then you
can use refdes_renum --force, to overwrite everything.

What gEDA *is* missing is the ability to backannotate the refdeses
from PCB into the schematic, as well as the ability to do an
"entire-board" update of the refdeses inside of PCB.  Lots of people
like to do a global re-refdesing after the board is laid out so that
the refdeses are numbered sequentially from upper left ot lower right,
say.  that makes it easier to locate a part when doing debug or
service.

Someday we'll get to that point.....

Stuart