Re: gEDA-user: opamp slew rate limiting

Martin Maney wrote:

> Nah.  You should use a good comparator with controlled hysteresis.  An
> opamp, any opamp, makes at best a mediocre comparator.

Actually, it worked!  Not sure why I didn't think of it earlier, but I
threw the circuit into simulation to see.  By cranking the gain up from
-10, to -200, the amp saturates much earlier in the cycle.
Interestingly, with gain of -10, and input signal of about 2 Vrms, the
output looked exactly like it does on the bench with edge rate of 20 uS.
  In simulation, changed the gain to -200 and the edges go to about 2
uS.  Worked precisely the same on the bench.  This I can live with, and
solved my problem.

I'm pretty sure this supports the notion that the output was really just
following the input, saturating later in the cycle.  Regarding John's
point, I did in fact, change to FET input by going from opa2227 to
opa2132.  While the slower bipolar input device would probably work, I
think I prefer the faster device for various reasons, including yours.

Yeah, I totally agree that a comparator is the way to go - but it's too
late for that.  It's not my design, I'm just the flunky who gets to make
it work right - or at least as good as possible.  The digital logic used
is old CD4000 stuff which is pretty slow.  There's a D flip-flop in the
circuit that calls for edges no slower than 10 uS - pretty slow by
modern standards, but this circuit failed to even meet that.  Oh, btw,
this opamp used drives a schmitt trigger - sort of a poor mans
comparator.  Same problem though, with the slow edge rate fooling it.

This turned out to be a fun thread, thanks for the help :)

gene