Re: gEDA-user: opamp slew rate limiting

Mark Rages wrote:

> I thought the whole point
> of a Schmitt input was to give the input a little "snap" and therefore
> increase the rise/fall times.
It will.

In my setup, 2 channels each setup as I described.  The relative phase
from one channel to the other remained pretty much constant throughout
the various stages (which I require), including the slow-edge opamp
circuit.  It all fell apart going through the schmitt trigger. The
faster edge into the schmitt trigger eliminated the phase/timing
distortion.  All in all, and I think most people agree, this isn't the
ideal circuit for the given application :)  I don't even want to
describe the lousy asynchronous flip-flop design that follows the
schmitt trigger for fear of a scolding :)  (not my design, I have to
repeat that for my sanity)

  In fact, I've done something similar to
> what you're doing.  IIRC, it was like this: digital signal -> big long
> RC -> schmitt inverter -> 4000-series flip-flop clock.   And that
> circuit, inelegant as it was, worked fine.
yep.  You need the fast-ish edge for the clock.  The CD4000 logic don't
require very fast edges (5uS rise, for example) to work. Anything slower
and you cannot guarantee the timing specs.  That's what the scmitt
trigger did in your case.