Re: gEDA-user: How to deal with single/dual parts?

Greg Cunningham wrote:

> What would be nice here is a loose coupling between symbol and device to
> the extent that symbols could be dynamically assigned to devices.  Maybe
> there could be a 'devices' panel (maybe even the assigned list from the
> library).  Each device in the panel exposes its used and available
> slots.  The designer can form a symbol-device association by dragging
> the symbol onto a suitable device in the device panel to 'assign' the
> symbol to an available slot.  The drop fails if the symbol doesn't fit
> the device, or if all slots for that symbol are taken.  Also, I could
> merely drag the symbol out of one devices slot and drop it in another
> device that gives me better routing efficiency.

That sounds like another "me, too!" vote.  :)

For purposes of this thread of discussion, can we drop the term "slot"?
It seems more helpful (at least to me) to think of chips as collections
of circuits.  The term "slot" is not well-defined for us right now...

Based on Greg's comment, it sounds like we're pretty close to
understanding as a group how we might re-factor our definitions of
symbols, components, circuits, packages and footprints.  I hardly think
we're ready to think about how to implement it in a GUI, but he offers
one suggestion and it doesn't sound too bad.  I have some ideas of my
own, but I'm still trying to come up with a mental model for how to deal
with the data itself!

OT, but wouldn't it be kind of cool if gschem's output could be fed into
graphviz?  :)  But seriously, that tool offers fertile ground for ideas...

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff
bgat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx