Re: gEDA-user: )(

On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 18:59 +0000, Frank Bergmann wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 23:58:52 +0100, Peter Clifton wrote:
>
> > Transparency, and a _huge_ win in rendering speed are the reasons for GL
> > over plain X rendering.
>
> That was to be expected.
>
> > cairo is pretty but slower than our old X
> > rendering.
>
> But this is unexpected of me! As mentioned before cairo claims hw acceleration.
> Well, I am have no x/graphics/rendering experience ...

Cairo has the "potential" for hardware acceleration - indeed, some
operations _are_ hardware accelerated.. but, not all are. The situation
may have become better than when I last tried cairo with PCB. (Code is
probably now lost though!).

2D X11 drivers are more or less hardware accelerated anyway.

In either case.. with Cairo or OpenGL, it takes a lot of hard work to
get the best performance out of the system - and with cairo, than can
mean understanding the shortcomings, what triggers slow-paths /
fallbacks, and avoiding triggering them.

> Is the code you have trouble with already in your git repo?

git clone git://repo.or.cz/geda-pcb/pcjc2.git
cd pcjc2
git checkout -b before_pours origin/before_pours
autogen.sh
configure --disable-doc
make install

(Copied from Ethan's instructions.. I think they are right!)

> And is the step towards OpenGL the next big step in pcb (gtkhid) development?

Possibly.. although I'm not sure how much time I can commit to it (or
when).

Best wishes,

Peter C.