Re: gEDA-user: )(

Hi all,

On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 09:57 +0100, andrew whyte wrote:
> >> 1) No 3D info given --> Guess some decent height from the silk of the
> >> footprint.
>
> >I won't recommend that. Guessing is a bad idea because if it's wrong,
> >bad things can happen: The PCB doesn't fit into the case.

+1

> Can I suggest warning the designer, and letting them decide if they
> want to go back and heights/models.  a red cross or "?" in the
> footprint might do the trick?
>
> >> 2) & 3)
>
> Good points - the choice is best,  I put forward item 2 is a low
> investment 'halfway house' for developers and gEDA designers with
> established libraries of 2D footprints. :-/

Just add some attributes to the footprint with the height of the
component:

Attribute("package body length" "package_body_length")
Attribute("package body width" "package_body_width")
Attribute("package height" "package_body_height")
Attribute("package is radial" "package_is_radial")

And let the exporter/plug-in do with it what needs be done.

If the element/footprint has no attributes available, it will show in
the rendered view.

Kind regards,

Bert Timmerman.