Re: gEDA-user: )(

On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 14:03:55 +0100, andrew whyte wrote:

> but rather than going down the route of
> needing schematics symbols, footprints and 3d models for each component
> in a design, could we add a "height" attribute to the schematics (this
> wouldn't be a big job for the designer using gattrib).  Then if someone
> could script something that takes the board outline, and adds block
> shapes based on the PCB footprint (outline) and the height for each
> component, the results would be a viable 3D skyline that would be
> workable from a CAD perspective, low maintenance, and would also give
> you an idea of the 3D system.

This is good for most components. But some need more information to take
full advantage from 3D. The models for connectors and switches should
give the height and coordinates of the necessary holes. Components with a
heatsink should hint, where they need to be screwed.

Why not allow three levels of detail:

1) No 3D info given --> Guess some decent height from the silk of the
footprint.

2) Height info given --> Draw a rectangular solid based on outline and
height

3) Full 3D model present --> Add the model to the 3D representation of
the board.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak                                  tel: +49-511-762-2895
Universität Hannover, Inst. für Quantenoptik      fax: +49-511-762-2211