Re: gEDA-user: )(

Hi Kai-Martin, Frank, Stefan, Peter and all,

On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 00:27 +0000, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 23:58:52 +0100, Peter Clifton wrote:
>
> > As an older (code no longer in existence) example, perspective like this
> > is not hard to achieve:
> >
> > http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/gerbv_GL.png
> >
> > (That IIRC, is cairo-rendered onto a texture, then stretched onto a
> > quad).
>
> IMHO, this is cheating. 3D objects would at least need ray tracing to
> look half way real. If there is an urge to push 3D output of pcb layouts,
> it would be wise not to reinvent the wheels. I'd suggest an export in a
> 3D format and delegate rendering to a third party application like the
> excellent blender.
>
> ---<(kaimartin)>---

PCB output for a "3D-view" in Blender (or AutoCAD if you live in the
"other" universe) is somewhere on the bottom of my todo list.

To keep things decoupled from the pcb perspective I would suggest one
(or more) plugins/exporter-HIDs that generate a python script for use
with Blender.

For the users in the other universe I hope to conclude my pcb-dxf-HID in
the next months or so, although I'm not in a hurry so it could take
longer.  AFAIK QCAD doesn't do 3D DXF, so this option is still not
possible.

I do happen to have some AutoCAD 3D models of electronics parts at:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ljh4timm/downloads/AutoCAD/

or

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ljh4timm/downloads/sat/

(in ACIS format (ASCII)).