Re: gEDA-user: PCB, I lost my layer colors

On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 11:10 +0000, Ineiev wrote:
> Here is the initial revision of the patch-set.
>
> The first patch is quite simple;
> it just adds attributes to layers.
>
> The second makes use of them.
>
> In layer context, "PCB:Color" attribute is recognized
> as the layer color definition.
>
> To switch between two versions of the PCB file format
> (with layer attributes and without them),
> preserve_layer_attribute flag is added; in GUIs it
> can be set via checkbutton in Preferences->General tab
> (the GTK hid) or "Settings->Preserve layer attributes"
> menu item (the Lesstif hid). when loading a PCB,
> the flag is set if there are any layer attributes
> in the file and cleared if there is none.

Why do we need a tick box to preserve layer attributes?
IMO, layer attributes should _always_ be preserved.

> When the flag is set, the layer colors are saved in the
> file as layer attributes; when the flag is cleared, no layer
> attributes are written, even those that were read from the file.

Just have them always write (unless any other PCB devel thinks
differently?)

> Layer attributes override the --layer-color-# command line
> option; as a means to override the attributes, I added
> SetLayerColor action, e.g.
> pcb --action-string 'SetLayerColor(\"solder\",red)' board.pcb
> or
> pcb --action-string 'SetLayerColor(0,#4f4f00)' board.pcb

Hmm, I'd have thought the command line arguments would have been a neat
way of overriding the layer colours. I'm pretty easy either way though.

I like the addition of the actions.

> The layers don't change their colors when moving.

Great!
> Special layers including the elements are not affected yet;
> actually, the `elements' color is used for both sides
> of the silkscreen. I'm not quite sure whether to change
> this and use the silkscreen layer color settings or
> to introduce PCB attributes to handle these colors;
> or to leave them as they are.
>
> Any thoughts on logic/naming/etc?

Seems ok.

Ps. I'd rather see updates to copyright headers done as a separate
commit if possible. (Certainly the address updates etc..).
Editing dates / adding authors is fine.

I'm personally going with:

 *  Copyright (C) 2009 PCB Contributors (See ChangeLog for details)

For my own contributions. (In addition to any existing notices in the
file).

Strictly, it is the git revision log - not the ChangeLog which will
contain the best information, but never mind!

This reflects the fact that it is very rare that I contribute a whole
brand-new file - and that we want to encourage people to work on the
project - not think various bits of code are "owned" by individuals.

Best wishes,

Peter C.