Re: gEDA-user: PCB, I lost my layer colors

On 10/20/09, Dan McMahill <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ineiev wrote:
> sorry for jumping in late in this conversation.

Not at all. I've just pushed another intermediate version
to be available this way:
git clone git://gitorious.org/~ineiev/pcb/clon_ineieva.git
git checkout -b attributes origin/attributes
and I am waiting for suggestions.

It is half-ready, I think a patch to save special colors like element,
via, pin and so on probably should be added; and perhaps at last to
add attributes to nets would be useful for future.

>  Is there a convenient
> way that one can save prefered colors for a particular layer stack and
> then *not* use the ones *or* change the ones stored in the .pcb file?

> Here is my thinking.  Like another non-negligible percentage of men I'm
> partially color blind so on a multilayer thing, I can't use just any old
> sort of color scheme.  It would be a pain if I'm reviewing someone elses
> layout as it progresses to have to open it and fix the colors every
> single time I want to look at an updated version or another board with
> the same stackup.  Also I may not want my edits to cause the primary
> board authors file colors to change.
>
> Could there be an option that toggles between user colors and .pcb
> colors for display and a way to request a copy of user colors to .pcb
> colors but not have that be automatic?  Then the board is always saved
> with .pcb colors (even if you were editing using user colors and not
> .pcb colors)?

I added an action CopyDefaultLayerColor (could not find a shorter name)
to set current colours according to PCB Settings structure. I added a
button triggering this in GTK GUI preferences; however, it is not
reversible now. I think a quick switch between the board and program
colour sets can be implemented quite easily; I'll add this flag.

On copying colours: do you think it would be enough to add an action
to copy board colours to PCB Settings?

Thank you; your notes were very constructive,
Ineiev