Re: gEDA-user: coordinate systems

Markus Hitter <mah@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> - Get that thing packaged as soon as a new release is done. Only
> software developers install from source these days. As far as I can
> see, Debian and the just released Ubuntu 10.10 still distribute the
> Nov 2009 release.

I am using Debian unstable (sid). Even there I get PCB version 20091103.

I have very mixed feelings about that.  In most times, I prefer to
cutting edge software.  If something breaks, I can fix it.  But for PCB
layout, a bit of stability is good, for long running projects at least.

During space flight board designs, I was compiling from a tarball and
made sure I did not upgrade until the final flight boards were made,
populated, tested.  Current Debian PCB cannot read those early flight
layouts any more.  The ground planes get messed up.

But in between really important designs, I am happy with the rather
stable Debian version.  If my .emacs file breaks with an emacs upgrade,
no harm is done to my files.  When a PCB upgrade messes with my current
layout, ...

The downside is, I do not get to use the new features in development,
and I do not participate in testing those.  And when all those new
feature are dumped at me eventually, I'll nee be very careful when to
upgrade.

Maybe, when I finished the current series of rather complex boards, I
may switch to track some git tree.  But do not even really know which
git tree I should track.

--
Stephan