Re: gEDA-user: Color silk layers in pcb

I can't answer your question, but I have one of my own. I use FreePCB and have requested, along with others, that we be able to designate layers as "documentation" such as assembly info, mechanical details, etc. Is that what you are looking for or do you want these layers to be usable to produce the silk screen Gerber files? I suppose once the layers are created, it would not be any extra effort to allow them to be used in the Gerber file. Does PCB have the ability to combine multiple layers into a single Gerber file?

Rick

At 12:40 PM 9/3/2010, you wrote:
On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Stefan Salewski <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-09-03 at 11:53 +0200, Pawel Kusmierski wrote:
> > Dear fellow GEDA-users,
> >    Can I get pcb to either treat a layer other than the default silk as
> >    non-metal
> >    (so it would not short pads and mess up nets),
> Please note, your SUBJECT may be misleading...
>
> No, currently we have only one silk layer. You may "miss-use" other
> copper layers for that task -- it may work when that layer is not in
> your real copper layer groups, but unfortunately it still connects to
> vias and can generate shorts. I did that for visual marks, distinct from
> other silk marks, and I copy that layer to silk before gerber
> production. (Some of us hope that sometimes we will have general propose
> layers, so that we can select type and other parameters separate...)

Thanks for your answer Stefan.
I have my visual marks just over vias, and it shorts them together,
so I will look for some other solution.

Is anybody willing to elaborate on how difficult would it be
to modify the pcb source code to color-differentiate three or four
silk layers and be able to selectively hide/show them?

Kind regards,
--
Pawel Kusmierski