Re: gEDA-user: next PCB release - 1.99za vs 4.0

On 09/12/2010 08:39 PM, John Doty wrote:

On Sep 12, 2010, at 1:49 PM, Rick Collins wrote:

Sounds suspicious.  Are you sure you aren't talking about an assembly with boards and a case?  Bolts aren't normally
considered vias.  ;^)

No, I'm talking about a narrow board with two rigid parts at the ends and a flexible part in the middle. The rigid parts had
more layers: that's how they got to be rigid.

It lived inside a cryostat, with circuitry that ran cold at one end, and circuitry that ran warm at the other.

The point here is that the insulating planes are layers also: they need representation in the board description. They have
their own shapes and material properties. And I think the only way to do blind/buried vias, buried components, and odd boards
like this in a non-kludgy way is to treat the insulating planes as layers, each with its own geometry.

Sure. And there's the other near term use for insulator: additive printed conductive and insulating inks
for interconnect and even semiconducting...

John G