Re: gEDA-user: why some skip KiCAD and gEDA

There is a problem that seems to occur often with open source software. Since it is created by
programmers to scratch their particular "itch", they are more concerned with the programming and
getting it working to solve their problem. Other than bug fixes that affect their use of the program, their
motivation to fix bugs and do documentation, release management, etc. is somewhat less.

Consider Apple, their motivation is a bit different. It is user oriented so that they can extract the maximum
amount of dollars from said customer, (Disclaimer, I am one.) This changes a number of priorities. Since
Apple must provide support, in various forms to include documentation, customer phone support, in-store
support and training, minimizing these costs is important.

Apple has a yearly version cycle for many of its programs. This allows them to concentrate on bug fixes and
interface and documentation before release. Open source with irregular updates will always have problems
keeping documentation in sync with the program.

Apple concentrates on a 'slick', graphical interface on their programs. However, a better place to look is at OS
X itself. OS X is a Unix underneath the graphic interface. The command line is available and works for those rare
instances when you need to go beyond the 98 percent of tasks that are usually done and covered by the graphic
interface.

I have used a couple of EDA tools over the last few years. Most had horrible interfaces. They won't change because
so many people have invested so much time learning them and don't want to learn any new changes, let alone a new
interface how ever much better it is and no matter how much easier and more productive it will make them. As a new and
or occasional user, I want that new and easier, more productive interface.

(Rant Off!)

Ross