Re: Luring hard-core players to Linux.

Josef Spillner:
>  > Why should i play Tuxkart when i can play MotoGP2?
>
>  Well, one of these doesn't run on my powerpc notebook :)
Good answer.
But it's a point more: Linux works even on old machines, and while most recent
games require powerful and expensive hardware, the games we may produce would
mostly work on lesser machines...

>  > But we may create thing windows lacks.
>  > I repeat: there are *lots* of great ideas, *lots* of great games that
>  > does not need impressive graphics, or a team of dozens
>  > professionists.... And these ideas, and these games are just waiting
>  > someone to create them.
>
>  During LinuxTag, quite a lot of Windows developers gave me business cards
> with the intent to contribute. I've so far contacted them all and not heard
> back from any of them.

I can't follow your point.
What windows developers have to do with indipendent games?

>  > Think at the games you loved more: they were quite simple but very
>  > smart, balanced and replayeble infinite times.
>
>  True, but there can only be a limited number of them,
Maybe true, but lots of them have not yet been created or fully explored.

> and this leads to the clones problem again
> (Tetris was innovative at its time).
Almost all Tetris clones were Tetris with different graphic.
You can begin with a clone and develop it into something very different, you
can expand the model, preserving the good features, working out the bad,
creating something new.
You can be very creative and innovative even with a clone.
I started from a plain MoM remake and now i'm working on a RTS/TBS ibrid...
Maybe it won't be revolutionary but i found _lots_ of people _very_ interested
in it.

Francesco Orsenigo