Re: [tor-talk] Email provider for privacy-minded folk

k e bera:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 17:07:54 -0800 (PST) Mysterious Flyer
> <mysteriousflyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> [...] 2.  I used a dedicated Tor Mail account to open the
>> anonymous "Torrified" Yahoo account, and then only ever used the
>> Yahoo account to post to this forum. [...] I have my suspicions
>> about Tor Mail.  Do any of you think that someone got access to
>> my Yahoo account by hacking into the Tor Mail account that was
>> used to set it up?  I was using this little algorithm to make
>> passwords, which probably would have easily been guessed if a
>> person had my user name and password from the one Tor Mail
>> account.
>>
>> I noticed that my back-up account to the Yahoo account had been
>> changed from "xxxx@xxxxxxxxxxx" to "xxx@xxxxxxxxxxx".  I also
>> can't for the life of me seem to remember my password to the
>> dedicated Tor Mail account that was used to set up the dedicated
>> Yahoo account.  Was the password changed at Tor Mail, or did I
>> just plumb forget it? [...]
>
> Only to comment on the "Tor Mail" points, and i think Andrew
> mentioned it on this list before, Tormail.org is not affiliated
> with Tor Project.  Furthermore, they are listed on this page:
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/LikelyTMViolators

I actually think that list is a joke, because it combines people that
provide legitimate services with obvious scammers.

It does actually say on tormail.org/tormail.net:

> Tor Mail is a Tor Hidden Service that allows anyone to send and
receive email anonymously.
> This product is produced independently from the Tor anonymity
software and carries no guarantee from The Tor Project about quality,
suitability or anything else.

The reason it is called Tormail is because you need to access a .onion
to get to it. Probably not the best name as I guess some people could
interpret this as inferred affiliation. They do fully disclose they
have nothing to do with the torproject.org group.

You'll also notice http://torfone.org/ says:
> This product is produced independently from the Tor anonymity
software and carries no guarantee from The Tor Project. as well.

I have not used torfone, but I assume it is called that because it
requires the Tor software.

As for torguard.net I'm not quite sure what they are inferring by the
usage of 'tor' in the name, as I don't believe it would use Tor for
anything. To me it just looks like a anonymous VPN provider, one which
was reviewed by TorrentFreak:
https://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-providers-really-take-anonymity-seriously-111007/

On the other hand you have other entries on that list such as:

"download-tor-browser.com" which is an obvious scam to get you to
download an altered copy of Tor Browser with a load of toolbars.

Also http://sourceforge.net/projects/torbrowser/ looks dodgy, not
complete source, 1 ancient binary.

> So Tormail.org is merely another potential email provider.  It
> would be offtopic to discuss Tormail.org-specific support issues
> here.

Agreed

- --
scarp | A4F7 25DB 2529 CB1A 605B  3CB4 5DA0 4859 0FD4 B313