Re: PyUI experience (Was: Re: [pygame] pyopengl and pygame)

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004, Marcus von Appen wrote:

> on Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Jasper Phillips wrote:
>
> > Pyui is (in my limited experience) pretty damn good for game GUIs.  At
> > least it's done everything I want so far!  It could use a larger library
> > of widgets, docs, a layout designer, and more stability -- but that's
> > about it.
>
> Well, then you made a pretty different experience than me. The PyUI
> version I tested out (it was v0.95 or so) took 99% CPU time and - the
> worst of all - created always windows in the Pygame window.

I haven't had either of these problems, developing on Windows XP.  It idles
at about 5% CPU, although it jumps up to 75% during battles when I'm drawing
several hundred textured quads (but I've done no optimization, am not using
openGL's display lists, etc.).  My main concern efficiency-wise is memory
and hardware texture usage.

Brief tests on a Mac and some random unix flavor didn't reveal anything
either, but I didn't try FreeBSD and they were some time ago.

> Another problem was and still is, that newer versions are not very platform
> portable. E.g. v1.0 is only offered for Windows and I did not manage to
> get it to work on FreeBSD. However, older versions (v0.97, etc.) have
> the same issues.

Why/How didn't it work on FreeBSD?  What changed in v1.0 that made it only
work on Windows?  I haven't seen anything in the architecture that should
restrict cross platform portability, so such problems should be fairly easy
to fix.

> Thus I started to write my own ui toolkit, which fits my needs much
> better and works well for me :-).
>
> > It seems to me like it would be good enough to surpass wxPython, if only it
> > were finished.
>
> What is your understanding about 'finished'? An official (marketing
> buzz) v1.0 version? ;-)

Cross Platform (meaning Windows, Mac, Linux).  Stable.  Works with current
libraries.  Easily integrates with Twisted and PyOpenGL.  Robust selection
of widgets.  Easy to extend.  A decent Layout designer.  Quite a bit of
work...

-Jasper