Re: [pygame] #pygame on irc.freenode.net

Ian Mallett wrote:
On Feb 19, 2008 5:41 PM, Joey Marshall <marshallpenguin@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:marshallpenguin@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    not all pygame users were like... piman ...for instance.

I believe that's the same thing as:
"people will get the impression that every Pygame user is like that."
And when I go in the pawn shop by Walmart, the cashier is completely offensive and makes me so angry I storm out of the store (I don't do this anywhere else) so I get the impression that all pawn brokers are like that. Until I go in any of the other 10 shops in town and realize that it's an isolated incident. What I'm saying is that there is always a way to broadly apply stereotypes and assumptions to groups of people. This is one of the things humans are good at - sorting each other into groups to help with managing all of the data that we have to process. But our initial assumptions are not always correct, and I have a hard time believing that anyone over the age of 12 hasn't already realized this.

IRC has trolls. It'd be nice to not have them. It would also be nice not to accidentally end up banning newbies because their questions seemed trollish, or having a totalitarian rule (as you said before) that prevents any unconventional discussion. I personally would prefer the lax alternative. I am policed enough in University, I don't need it everywhere I go.

Thanks,
-Luke