Re: [pygame] Mixer Quit / Restart

Oh well, that's fine. I will just inform potential users that they must convert all samples to a specific format first, and then not restart the mixer when loading new sounds.

Given that this software is to be used in a (relatively complex) open source DIY electronic drum brain, I would imagine that converting audio samples is probably the easiest of all the other required steps (soldering ICs, programming microcontrollers, etc). ;-)

Cheers

FT wrote:
Hi! It never worked, it is just that it never worked. Wyatt Olson <mailto:wyatt.olson@xxxxxxxxx>
*To:* pygame-users@xxxxxxxx <mailto:pygame-users@xxxxxxxx>

This appears to get the total number of channels, not the number of active channels. However, I tried using get_busy(), but it still does not seem to work.

See the following modifications to my original code:

import pygame, time

for x in range(10):
    print("Starting iteration " + str(x))
    print("Initializing mixer")
    pygame.mixer.init()

    print("Loading sound")
    sound = pygame.mixer.Sound("foo.wav")
    print("Finding free channel")
    channel = pygame.mixer.find_channel()
print("Channel object: " + str(channel)) print("Setting volume")
    channel.set_volume(0.7)
print("Playing sound")
    channel.play(sound)
print("Sleeping until sound is finished playing...")
    while pygame.mixer.get_busy():
        time.sleep(1)

    print("Quitting mixer\n\n")
    pygame.mixer.quit()

This displays the same behaviour.

In response to a previous comment about using channel.stop() before quitting the mixer: this does not work either, as can be seen by adding channel.stop() after the get_busy loop above.

Has anyone tried running this code themselves? I am wondering if I am experiencing some obscure bug, possibly platform specific. I am running on OS X, but don't have access to other systems for troubleshooting. If someone else has access to a Windows or Linux box, and is able to prove if this fails on those systems as well, that may be useful.

Cheers