Re: [pygame] Collaborative game in 8 weeks.

Pete Shinners schreef op dinsdag 11 maart om 18:48:47 +0000:

> * zelda style game. man that "zelda through time" game on snes was the
> peak of the series. probably have to keep the "scale" of the game a
> little smaller, as it would require heavy efforts from mapmakers and
> gametesters. rating 3 of 3

I vote for this one. Story: Brian needs to save the Universe but
doesn't want so. He complains but against his will he's going to
save the universe anyway ;). I have a start for this on
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pybrian/. Please check out the
CVS, it is a start of a jump-and-run platform game engine, but
so far without true graphics. The music is by Ben Koopmanschap.
Brian is inspired by Commander Keen (never played Zelda), but
if I'm not mistaken Zelda is like that too. I think there are
nice elements in Keen which we might be able to borrow, like
a level map, separate episodes and pogo jumping. I also have
the idea to let Brian be born in Barthehiem, a little place
in Friesland (Frisia in English I think), because it resembles
Bethlehem ;), and Brian could be named after MPLOB as Python is
named after MPFS (Monty Python Life of Brian/Flying Circus). I
really like the idea of a game like that. Again, pleace check
out pybrian.sourceforge.net. The main troubles I have are scroll
speed, graphics and sound effects. I am never able to get the
last two done myself, so I very much like this project. I don't
think it is 'finished' after two weeks, but it may be initiated.
A good game is ambitious and is never finished. Collision checking
is also a problem, as is the background, because levels are
easily several thousand pixels wide and high.

Pybrian currently has monsters, scrolling, shooting, gravity, random levels,
random walls, jumping, background music by Ben Koopmanschap,
a bgtile ripped from Keen ;), and some sprites created using
pygame.image.draw() on startup. Startup currently takes approx.
5 seconds because of the random generator. Oh yeah, save and
load games are also supported already, using __getstate__ and
__setstate__. I have recently implemented a grid using Petes
suggestion. Please check out my CVS (not the released version).
The CVS history log is quite extensive and contains some useful
ideas. I already have project space and mailinglists.

> * a squad-style counterstrike remake.

FAR too ambitious. We don't want a stranding game.

Maybe some of my code can be used...

yours,
Gerrit.

	http://people.nl.linux.org/~gerrit/