Re: [pygame] Re: GSoC Proposal: Basic gui system

I don't think incorporating an existing gui into pygame would work.
Whatever it is you decide to do - it will need to be close enough to pygame to be worth it (ie, integrated into event loop and such, to make it easy for new users), abstract enough to allow extendability into a wide range of needs, and powerful enough to look good and scale to full size applications.
From my experience, none of the current pgame guis come close to having all those attributes.
Either they are so abstract that the user has to do almost everything, they are too powerful to easily extend, or they are just funky in their usage.

But that is yet another decision.
How will events be handled? WIll they be returned like pygame events, or handled with callbacks? Or both and confuse people/be un-pythonic?
How will it be rendered? Will it simply be an object you send the screen to at the end of each loop and render then update the screen?
Will it use dirty rects to make the gui fast, or not, so you can use flip?
How many/what widgets do you want to include?
You pointed out how you would take the best 2 or 3 - well that is it, there is so much variance, and no gui I have seen that would be abstract enough to be useable for this claims to be everything you might/will need.
I think most likely you would have a ton of different people chiming in, and in the end you might get 2 or 3 highest rated, but none would get a majority and it would probably fall apart before it even started...

I agree with Sky, it is simple to write basic widgets, but once you get into more advanced stuff it takes time, and lots of it, there are just so many things to do. It isn't particulartly hard, but time consuming, and difficult to do "right". I think though updating the pygame wiki with some of the newer gui's, with a good comparison would probably work better - but if you do take one and make it work, more pwoer to you, and I am sure a lot of people will be grateful...

Good luck :)