Re: [pygame] Rpg Game ?

LOL, sweeet horror. :)

Am 28.11.2006 um 01:11 schrieb JoN:

A true heroic failure :)

Quoting Shandy Brown <sjbrown@xxxxxxxxx>:

If anyone wants to see a horror from 1997, check this Javascript RPG out:

http://sjbrown.users.geeky.net/game/dungeon.html

sjbrown

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006, Kris Schnee wrote:

Farai Aschwanden wrote:
If I understand this right: You think about creating a RPG with PHP? If
this is the point, let me tell you: DONT! ;) I started my RPG project
that way (with PHP) and then I switched to Python that is much more
easier and more powerful with Pygame. It depends on what you want to
build inside your game but I assume that performance will be a issue
quite quickly.

I experimented with RPG stuff online, first using JavaScript and then
Python CGI. JavaScript is usable, but doesn't seem very suitable. Since
CGI involves running the program once, then basically reloading the page
and restarting the program, it's a like a time travel movie -- you have
to set up a complex system of sending notes back to yourself each
run-through just to track what part of the game you're in.

Here's an example of a random-dungeon RPG done in Python CGI (a
tongue-in-cheek remake of a game I made long ago in Apple BASIC):
http://kschnee.xepher.net/cgi-bin/dungeon_warrior.py

It's also possible to do tiled graphics fairly simply using DIV tags
that give tiles an exact position on the screen. That doesn't allow for
animation though, unless maybe you use animated GIFs.

I hear Flash is good for the sort of RPG you might be thinking of. I
played a bit of a game called "DragonFable":
http://www.dragonfable.com/
I don't actually like this game, but it shows that basic RPG mechanics
and graphics are possible in Flash.

Kris

Come and visit Web Prophets Website at http://www.webprophets.net.au