[pygame] Multimedia: was: Introducing Pygame Launcher alpha

On 25 Oct 2004, at 17:07, Bob Ippolito wrote:

On Oct 25, 2004, at 11:36, Jack Nutting wrote:

An idea suddenly popped into my head. Instead of (or in addition to) making the pygame launcher a standalone program, how about turning it into a.... (drumroll please) browser plugin?!

I searched around a bit, and afaict no one has made and released a Python browser plugin yet. It seems that python+pygame would make a really great alternative to flash or java applets for many purposes (particularly for people on this list).

Sound interesting? Or am I putting the cart before the horse here?
This is a massive security hole. Python can not be sandboxed like Javascript, Java or Flash. Not a great idea.
It would be great to have some way of writing multimedia for browsers in python.
But Jack, can you not use Jython for browser stuff. (I don't have a clue).

What would be more interesting to me would be to see some
effort put into making python more attractive as a platform for multimedia creation
(not necessarily for browsers but just in general).

For example being able to use GUI elements in pygame or at least
allow wxPython and pygame to work in the same program.

In pygame the developer cannot allow the user to click on a File,
Edit, View, etc menues, because it is made for games and
nothing else.

But hey! There is a world out there which is now being
occupied with Flash, Director, Java, Processing and could so easily
be won by the beauty, friendliness and opensourceness of Python.

How would you do interesting drawing stuff in an application which is
using wxPython? Perhaps using OpenGL? Yes, but that has a very
different mindset than something that would be the py equivalent of
the, say, Graphics stuff in Java.

A question to the list:
Do you know if any multimedia CD-Roms have been made with Python?

I find the answer very interesting either way (y/n).

thor